I remember the nail.
The way it caught the light,
as though it had swallowed something
and kept it there.
Crooked.
Hammered in anger,
perhaps by a child,
perhaps by someone already
practicing disappearance.
That was the beginning.
Not of everything.
Of noticing.
The shape of what refuses
the hand that reaches for it.
The small resistance
of a world remaining itself.
There is a light that belongs
to each thing alone.
It burns through the bark
of one particular tree,
through the grain of one door,
across the face of one man
who will never look at you twice.
I tried to name it.
Tree.
Door.
Man.
The words tasted of chalk.
What I wanted was the bark
against my cheek that October,
the wet earth beneath my knees,
my mother somewhere inside the house
pressing her voice into a pillow
until the walls could keep her secret.
I wanted the particular angle
of the afternoon sun,
the way it entered my eyes
without permission,
and made every object briefly
more itself.
Her voice breaking on my name.
Once.
Only once.
A small fracture in the sound,
though I would spend years
hearing the cold enter through it.
They tried to teach me the world.
Diagrams.
Terms.
Philosophies with their clean partitions.
This belongs here.
That belongs there.
This counts.
That does not.
Yet the thing itself kept escaping.
It bled.
It bruised.
It curled beneath the hedge
behind my childhood house
and wept into the leaves
with the bewilderment of something
discovering its own existence.
I learned to distrust the word thing.
Too vast.
Too vacant.
It flattened whatever I loved
until it could fit comfortably
inside another person's mouth.
So I abandoned the names.
I kept the particulars.
The man who looked at me once
and carried that look away.
The flame that took my name
and bore it backward
through fields of snow
until even I could no longer follow.
The nail.
The bark.
The crack in her voice.
These remained.
They needed no interpretation.
They had already happened.
They were happening still.
You have felt it.
That pressure beneath speech.
That pulse gathering
where a word should be.
The low hum of existence
slightly out of phase
with the breathing around you.
You know the sensation
of reaching toward something
and feeling it become stranger
the closer your hand comes.
Thereness.
A word I distrust,
though I have no better one.
The world is crowded with it.
Every object carries its own weather.
Every face has a history
that language approaches
with dirty hands.
Perhaps that is where the end begins.
Somewhere in the moment
when we cease to recognize
the singularity of a thing.
When the bark becomes bark.
The nail becomes nail.
The voice becomes voice.
When the particular dissolves
into the convenience of a category.
Then something goes missing.
Something ancient.
Something that stood here,
once,
under this light,
with this wound,
bearing this name
in a world that will never
produce the same arrangement again.
This bark.
This crack.
This nail.
This voice.
This silence.
This flame.
This you.
No comments:
Post a Comment